The kids are out of school, next week is Fourth of July and I feel like last week was a glorious Memorial Day weekend... So lets talk summer beauty. I just turned 37 this year and I have received some interesting compliments in the past few months. People that just meet me, find out how old I am and want to know my secret! LOL
So besides having the experience of being a studio makeup artist for almost ten years (using lots of tips on myself that I found valuable from set,) and working in aesthetics and the beauty field every day... I do have a few secrets up my sleeve. One of my first makeup mentors told me - NEVER keep your tricks to yourself - always share with others... you're never that good! And when you share, it will always come back to you.
So here you go... very simple "Keeping your Youth" tips for the summer and every day.
1. SUN Limit your sun exposure (especially during peak hours). I have wholeheartedly embraced the porcelain skin is beautiful concept. I am Irish & Swedish - say no more... Because I have limited my sun exposure for at least the past ten years and wear sunscreen on my chest, neck and face every day without fail - I think I have postponed some spotting and wrinkles.
- Using a sunscreen with ZINC and TITANIUM DIOXIDE is best - they are the strongest.
2. SKINCARE At a minimum after you turn 30 years old, you need to re-evaluate your skincare. You need something more active for your skin than you did in your 20s. In your 40s & 50s you need something more active than in your 30s. I love the peptides and enzymes. Natural is great but you do need to check for an active ingredient. Vitamin C is quickly becoming a favorite of mine for clients as well as a minimally active Retinol. Exfoliation is the key and treatment for renewal at NIGHT (this is when your skin replenishes itself and rejuvenates).
3. A good ATTITUDE. I have always tried to be a positive person. We are in trying times... Your attitude does make a difference on your appearance and your wrinkles. SMILE at one person a day... Always try to make lemonade from lemons and see the glass half full... try counting one blessing a day - and you will be surprised at how many days it takes for you to run out of things to be thankful for.
4. Nutrition and HEALTH. Simple I know, but very easily overlooked in our busy every day stresses and schedules. I recently lost 15 pounds since the beginning of the year. I started eating! My schedule is so busy sometimes, I was not making time to eat. My metabolism slowed down and I started adding weight. By adding something each day for breakfast, vitamins and oil capsule supplements - small meals and snacks throughout the day, I noticed a difference in my skin, hair and body. I also started hula hooping for a 1/2 hour in front of the TV every other night. I do not enjoy the gym and am usually tired after a long day, so this was manageable. Start with small goals - but make a CHANGE - YOU are worth it.Your skin reflects what is happening inside.
5. MAKEUP For the summer I like to keep it simple. I LOVE tinted moisturizer over my normal skincare. If I have a special event, I use a light foundation or mineral foundation. My skin tends to be dry so I mist the minerals with toner or water after application to elevate the matte/pasty look. I use Cover Girl LASH BLAST, which I swear by for mascara - waterproof only if I am planning on swimming or crying (not everyday). I use like sparkly tones all over my lids with a nice neutral brown or fun plum or green to accentuate my eyes.
For night or special events I will pop some deep plum or charcoal in the corner of my lower lid and slightly in the crease for drama. I use STYLI STYLE - line and seal eyeliner or wet a mineral eye shadow that will stay on all day long! Blush is light and blended and bronzer works well for some glow or color over my porcelain skin. I love to finish with tinted/toned chapstick or a lipgloss. In the summer, I feel less is more and I love to see my skin through the makeup... another reason to take care of your skin.
So I hope I have inspired you to "stay young and look young" - although it really is all in how we feel - age is only a number... my goal is to grow wiser, gracefully. But trust me some days are easier than others. But have fun with it - try new products and ENJOY your summer. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you... and feel free to contact me with any questions or comments! Remember, YOU are perfectly im-perfect... exactly as you were meant to be!!! And that is what makes YOU beautiful!